Tuesday 9 January 2018

Just a Little Prep Work For the BOM


I thought I would pop in and give you a little prep work before we get started on Friday 12th January... this will make your BOM experience more pleasurable and save you some time...

So here is What I like to do before I start a Block of the Month or any project.

1. Get a new blade for your Rotary Cutter. This is a must for accurate cutting and piecing. If you do nothing else Do this Step. You will thank yourself later .

2.Change your Machine Needle to a nice and sharp Needle, believe me, this makes things run smoothly, I recommend Size 80/12 universal or Quilting needle. Next give your machine a really good clean, not forgetting the bobbin area, and grab a couple scraps and do some test sewing...and Check that you are using a QUARTER inch presser Foot that fits your machine correctly. Stay Tuned for how to check your seam allowance is correct.


3. Make Sure you have some good Rulers on hand. I will have lists of things that I use and where to get them on the Video and Blog, But make sure you have at least a 6.5" x 12.5" or a 12.5" x 12.5" square you will be able to make all your cuts with these rulers 

you can find a really good pack of Rulers Here

4.Have your Favorite notions ready, Thread Snips, Pins, fabric markers, Frixion pens are the most popular markers, just remember to mark on the back of your Fabric, and a Small trash bin.
5. Have some Best Press (my Fav) or your Favorite Starch on hand you will need it...as some blocks have triangles and some small pieces and Best Press is your friend, your BBF.
If you are in Australia I have Best Press in Stock. contact me Via Facebook Group
to order. 


6. Get your Designs Board or Wall ready to add your blocks to. If you don't have one I will be doing "Live" cam on Thursday on our Facebook Group (time to be announced) to show you how to make one with what you have in your Sewing Room or a Visit to your partners shed.

7. Check that your Iron is in working order... and when I say working order, what I mean, is that it is clean and gets to temp and doesn't spit water out...I speak from experience here, so check it  *** I don't use steam for my piecing, but this is my preference.

8.Clear your workspace as much as possible. A clean and Clear workspace is a productive one...do a little every day from now till Friday, and before you know it, it will be clean and tidy... my recommendation is 10mins a day...I need to take this advice too LOL.
Now you are ready to go on Friday...

As always if you have any Questions please ask and don't be Shy  and if you have any suggestions or tips on how you prep your workspace, Please do share them below, we would love to hear them  

and if you haven't already Join our Facebook Group
and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel

See you all on Friday 12 January 2018

Happy Quilting ") N



No comments:

Post a Comment